Financial Aid Policy and Procedures
At GNS, we seek out students with strong academic potential, good character and diverse backgrounds from families that understand and share the values of the school. Our goal is to provide resources and opportunities that will ensure our students’ success, and create an environment that encourages respect for the self and others.
Our Financial Aid Policy is designed with these principles in mind. By providing more opportunities for students from all backgrounds, this policy ensures that our school community reflects the real world while fostering academic excellence.
Objectives of Financial Aid Program
- To expand our ability to admit mission-appropriate students;
- To support enrolment objectives;
- To meet financial needs of current families;
- To assist in achieving a socioeconomically and culturally diverse student body to enhance the cultural enrichment in the lives of our students.
Criteria and Expectations
- Each recipient is expected to contribute to the school in meaningful ways (i.e., citizenship, academics, arts, athletics).
- Families are required to submit a complete application for financial aid each year by the specified due date. If a family's financial circumstances have not changed, they will receive a similar percentage of financial aid as the previous year.
- To the best of their financial ability, both parents should contribute to the cost of tuition, even in the case of divorce or separation.
- It is expected that both parents will be gainfully employed. If a spouse chooses not to work, this is factored into the income calculations for evaluation. Certain circumstances, such as caring for a disabled or elderly parent, a child under age 5, or a child with a long-term disability, may exempt a family from this policy. These situations are individually reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- At the time of the initial financial aid award, applicants must demonstrate the ability to financially support their family through their own work and resources.
- GNS treats requests for tuition assistance with the highest levels of discretion and confidentiality, and expects that families will do the same with the results.
Process for determining Financial Aid Awards
Apple Financial Services is a member of the organization of Financial Aid for Canadian Students (FACS). Apple Financial provides a consistent, objective, and professional analysis of a family’s resources and makes recommendations directly to GNS. The Financial Aid Committee reviews these results in accordance with School policy, and issues decisions in line with our policies and deadlines, and available funds.
Financial Aid Calendar
- November 1: A letter is emailed to all current family financial aid recipients explaining the deadline for next year’s financial aid application forms.
- December 12: Due date for submitting completed FACS forms for existing families.
- February 28: Financial Aid Awards are communicated to all continuing students.
- March 1 through June 30: Financial Aid Awards are communicated to newly admitted applicants as funds remain available.