Doing Our Best—and Striving to be Better!
Improvement is a constant at GNS. Just as our motto sparks students to push the boundaries of personal excellence and strive to meet their potential, so too does it challenge faculty and staff to continually define and refine the programs we offer to help inspire that achievement.
In the past 24 months, Senior School Faculty have worked tirelessly to refine the Diploma Programme (DP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) course offerings in Grades 11 and 12. Courses have been made even more “doable,” ensuring that good, average, committed students can succeed while also maintaining full and balanced lives. As a result, more than 55 Grade 11 students began the full Diploma Programme in September, a significant increase from our recent range of 12 to 25 DP students in any given year. We remain committed to allowing students and families to individually craft their own IB experience, and to helping them succeed however they choose to engage with this valuable curriculum.
To assist us in continuing to improve and evolve, we also rely on expert outside eyes to scrutinize our work. In recent years, this has included accreditations from both the Canadian Accredited Independent Schools (CAIS) and the Round Square. Last fall, the British Columbia Ministry of Education completed their own comprehensive school evaluation and provided the school with the following feedback:
- Faculty at GNS are working together effectively to ensure students develop their knowledge and skills in a well thought out progression that ensures they are well prepared for postsecondary success.
- The GNS team is professionally collaborative to a very high degree working as a professional community of educators who promote student learning and their own learning in a regular ongoing fashion.
- The Co- and Extra-curricular offerings are very diverse and encourage all children—not just the most athletic or most artistic—to develop.
- The leadership has envisioned GNS as a full JK to 12 school and is working to support the creation of seamless transitions. The result is there is a deliberate and successful attempt to create continuous development that is beneficial to each student over their time at GNS.
- The Board has made a significant commitment to continually upgrading and providing the best facilities in a manner that will be beneficial to students. The plans to move this forward are commendable.
Our commitment to continuous improvement will be further augmented in the spring of 2020 when the IB’s Primary Years Programme, Middle Years Programme and Diploma Programme Evaluation Team arrives on our campuses. We have already begun internal efforts to review and revise how we do our best work for students as we engage them in reaching their potential as IB learners who are balanced, caring, communicators, inquirers, knowledgeable, open-minded, persevering, principled, reflective, risk-takers and thinkers.
In a world in which change is occurring at ever more rapid speeds, it is critical that the students of today are prepared to meet the challenges of tomorrow. By engaging with the IB curricula, they learn the skills required to find success—and enjoyment—in university, in career and in life. Ensuring they have these skills is a daunting challenge, but with a first-class curriculum delivered by expert teachers, it is one GNS students have a well-established track record of meeting and exceeding.
Read more about how GNS is striving to do our best for your family.