Meet the Team: Megan Durovick, Educational Technologist
Get to know a little more about Ms. Durovick, including some of her favourite things!
Recently, Ms. Megan Durovick took on the role of Educational Technologist at the Beach Drive campus where she supports the integration of instructional technologies, and the foundational development of digital literacy and citizenship.
1. What made you want to be part of the GNS community? The beautiful seaside setting and close-knit community.
2. How did you choose teaching as the right career path for you? I have always enjoyed working with children. Their natural curiosity and joie de vivre is infectious. I truly love what I do, and I am thankful to have found a profession that allows me to inspire and contribute to children’s lives as they learn and grow.
3. What is the best part about working at GNS? Since coming to the Beach two years ago, my students and their families have made me feel so welcome, loved and appreciated. I am lucky to call myself a member of the GNS community.
4. What are some of your interests? Gardening, golfing and hiking with my dog, Benjamin.
5. What is something that most people don’t know about you? I hold a Masters Degree in Educational Technology from UBC. I am fascinated and love learning about human innovation and technological advancement. I also love to sing and dance. Musical Theatre and Move & Groove are two of my favourite co-curriculars to teach!
6. What do you like about living and working in Victoria? I was born and raised in Victoria. After attending university in Montreal, and living and teaching in Vancouver for 10 years, I am happy to be back home as I am a Vancouver Island girl at heart.
7. What interested you in teaching coding at the Beach? Coding is a basic literacy in our digital age and enables students to understand and work with the tech tools around them. More importantly, learning to code contributes to the development of future problem solvers, skilled learners, and innovators, who moving forwards can keep up with, and contribute to, our ever-changing and advancing technology-rich world. I believe it is vital to equip our children with the skills and capacity to understand how the world surrounding them works. We are also preparing our students to venture into the unknown as we do not hold a crystal ball to see what our future holds. In today's era of ongoing and rapid technological transformation, we strive to support understanding, flexible and adaptive mindsets, as well as forward-thinking innovators, who can thrive in our future world.
8. What are you looking forward to this year? Our new state of the art facilities at the Beach, specifically our brand new Innovation Lab, a space to promote students’ hands-on exploration, problem solving and creativity!