IB Diploma FAQ
- Do universities value an IB Diploma score the same way they do a letter grade?
- Do you offer French or any other languages at an advanced level?
- Would it be too difficult for a student to start full IB in grade 11 with no previous IB experience?
- Do universities offer advanced credit to students in completing a partial IB Diploma?
- How does the IB Diploma differ from other university preparatory programs such as Advanced Placement?
- Do IB Diploma Students have time for anything beyond academics?
- What is the difference between IB Diploma SL and HL courses?
As part of the Diploma Programme, students will take 3 courses at Standard Level and 3 at Higher Level. For most ex-immersion students, the HL course is a good fit. We also offer Spanish and Mandarin (the latter depending on student request numbers) at SL and HL. Neither of these courses is designed for beginners. If a student currently doesn't have a second language, they could take Spanish ab initio as part of the Diploma Programme, which is for students who have never studied the language before. It is a fast-paced course that allows students to reach quite a high level over the two years of study.
The IB Diploma is a two-year comprehensive curriculum with a culminating set of externally graded final exams. Advanced Placement (AP) is also an university preparatory, academically rigorous program. There are important differences, however, in the content and exams. The DP is a cohesive and comprehensive program, not a collection of individual courses as is the case with Advanced Placement. The most important distinguishing factor is the core of the Diploma Programme (CAS, TOK and the extended essay).
Higher Level (HL) and Standard Level (SL) courses differ in scope but are measured according to the same grade descriptors, with students expected to demonstrate a greater body of knowledge, understanding and skills in the Higher Level course. Higher Lever courses involve more hours of instruction and study.
If you have other questions about completing the IB Diploma Programme at GNS, please contact Angela Girard, our IB Diploma Coordinator (email@example.com).